If you haven’t noticed by now, I put courgette (zucchini) in everything. Yesterday I had half of a leftover courgette left from the courgetti with avocado and cucumber sauce, and decided to fill an omelette with spiralized courgette and pesto. Now however, my courgette obsession has progressed into baking things with it.
The first step (aside from preheating your oven to 180 °C) is to grate one cup of courgette and squeeze all the moisture out using paper towels. This is an important step as you risk having a batter that is too wet, and thus will not bake well.
Next, combine 1 1/2 cups of almond flour, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg in a bowl and mix the dry ingredients.
Next, blend together 1 banana, 3 eggs, and 1/4 cup honey for one minute until foamy. Afterwards, add the courgette and pulse until mixed in. Transfer the contents into a mixer.
While the mixer is running, add the dry ingredients slowly. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated into the mixture.
Transfer the mixture into a non-stick baking form. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 °C. You may need to cover the loaf with aluminium foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to ensure the top doesn’t burn.
Check if the loaf is fully baked by inserting a toothpick in the centre – if it comes out dry it is done, if not bake for another 5 minutes or so and check again.
Enjoy this courgette bread with some nut and seed butter or some homemade fig jam (recipes coming soon).
- 1 cup courgette, grated
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (if you can’t find almond flour to ground almonds, you can buy blanched almonds and use a food processor to make almond flour)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 banana
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C
- Grate courgette and squeeze out moisture using paper towels.
- Combine almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl and mix.
- Blend together banana, eggs, and honey for 1 minute, until foamy. Add the squeezed courgette and pulse until mixed.
- Transfer mixture into a mixer and slowly mix in the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Transfer to a non-stick baking form and bake in oven for 40 minutes.