Making your own granola is easy and fun! You can customise it to include the nuts, seeds, and dried fruits that you like. I really like a granola that sticks together and gives you large clumps of nuts and seeds, which is why I pulse the ingredients in a food processor briefly to allow the formation of small and large nut and seed bits.
Firstly, preheat your oven to 140 °C. To make the granola you will need a cup of raw almonds and cashews each, a quarter cup of raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds each, and half a cup of coconut shavings. Combine these in a food processor and pulse a few times, but make sure you haven’t completely pulverised all the nuts.
In a pan, heat up a quarter cup of coconut oil and half a cup of honey to make sure they mix well. Then add half a teaspoon of vanilla powder and half a teaspoon of salt to the pan. Next, add the pulsed nuts and seeds and a cup of raisins to the pan and mix well so that all the ingredients are combined.
Spread the mixture out on a lined baking tray, and bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes, but make sure the raisins do not burn.
Once baked, let the granola cool for at least half an hour, and then scrape it off and break it up into chunks. Store the granola in tupperware.
The granola is best served on top of yoghurt with fruits, but I think its also pretty good on its own!
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut shavings
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit)
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 140 °C.
- Combine nuts, seeds, and coconut shavings in a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Heat coconut oil and honey in a pan, mix well, and add vanilla powder and salt.
- Add the nut mixture and raisins in the pan and mix well.
- Spread the mixture out on a lined baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes and store in tupperware.
If you haven’t noticed by now, I put courgette (zucchini) in everything. Yesterday I had half of a leftover courgette left from the courgetti with avocado and cucumber sauce, and decided to fill an omelette with spiralized courgette and pesto. Now however, my courgette obsession has progressed into baking things with it.
The first step (aside from preheating your oven to 180 °C) is to grate one cup of courgette and squeeze all the moisture out using paper towels. This is an important step as you risk having a batter that is too wet, and thus will not bake well.
Next, combine 1 1/2 cups of almond flour, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg in a bowl and mix the dry ingredients.
Next, blend together 1 banana, 3 eggs, and 1/4 cup honey for one minute until foamy. Afterwards, add the courgette and pulse until mixed in. Transfer the contents into a mixer.
While the mixer is running, add the dry ingredients slowly. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated into the mixture.
Transfer the mixture into a non-stick baking form. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 °C. You may need to cover the loaf with aluminium foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to ensure the top doesn’t burn.
Check if the loaf is fully baked by inserting a toothpick in the centre – if it comes out dry it is done, if not bake for another 5 minutes or so and check again.
Enjoy this courgette bread with some nut and seed butter or some homemade fig jam (recipes coming soon).
- 1 cup courgette, grated
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (if you can’t find almond flour to ground almonds, you can buy blanched almonds and use a food processor to make almond flour)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 banana
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C
- Grate courgette and squeeze out moisture using paper towels.
- Combine almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl and mix.
- Blend together banana, eggs, and honey for 1 minute, until foamy. Add the squeezed courgette and pulse until mixed.
- Transfer mixture into a mixer and slowly mix in the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Transfer to a non-stick baking form and bake in oven for 40 minutes.