Its summer, so that means its barbecue season! However, if you live in the Netherlands/Scotland (like I do) this means: lets pretend that the weather is nice and have a barbecue – but inside. Regardless of how good – or bad – the weather is, these burgers are always tasty and a leaner alternative to regular burgers.
Get ready, because your hands will be dirty! Grab about 500-600 g ground chicken (or turkey) and mix this (with your hands) together with 1/3 cup of almond flour (or regular flour), 3 crushed cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/3 tsp pepper. Make sure these ingredients are mixed well, and if the mixture still feels a bit wet, add some more flour to make sure it sticks together.
Next, chop two avocados into approximately 1 cm cubes, and dice 1/4 cup jalapeño slices.
Gently mix in these ingredients trying not to squish the avocado. After it is all mixed, create burger patties in whatever size you like. I usually make about 6 good-sized patties from this recipe.
TIP: I think that raw chicken is like super gross, so if you can, make your boyfriend your sous-chef and make him touch all the meat while you cut and grill. If not, just hope that the raw meat won’t get stuck under your nails….which it probably will tbh.
Get a large grill pan and grill the burgers until they are fully cooked, approx 4-5 mins on each side. These burgers freeze very well, so if you think 6 burgers is too many, just throw the rest in the freezer and use them on a day you don’t have time to cook.
I usually serve these burgers with sweet potato fries and a greek salad!
Ingredients: (Serves 6)
- 500-600 g ground chicken or turkey meat
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup (almond) flour – but add more if you feel your mixture is too wet
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 sliced jalapeños, diced
- 2 avocados, cut into 1 cm cubes
- Combine ground meat, garlic, (almond) flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Chop jalapeños and avocados and gently mix into the mixture, trying not to mush the avocado bits.
- Grill (in pan or on barbecue) until fully cooked, approx 4-5 minutes on each side.